2018 January COTM

This topic contains 9 replies, has 8 voices, and was last updated by  Stacy 9 months, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author

Stacy
    Keymaster

For ease of voting please try to do the following:

Take and post one clear photo of the entire crabitat to be used on the poll.

Take and post any additional photos you would like to share to highlight features. A link back to the contest thread will be included on the poll so others can browse the additional images.

Full rules here:

Crabitat of the Month

Evan Miller
    Participant

Crabitat Jan 2018

Wisconsin USA
    Can’t remember dimensions :T
    55 Gal
    Play sand and eco earth
    Got some cholla, a couple coconut hides, one hanging up, shell shops, a little bird nest thing I found, plenty of moss pits, the double decker thing on the left is just a couple stackable organizing totes

thewheeltalk
    Participant

England, uk.
    75 gallon
    My substrate is the correct ratio of play sand to coco fibre fully mixed through

They have a cieling climbing mesh with a long vine wrapped through to climb up and down with ease. A grapewood arch with a vine underneath. They love to hide under there. There’s an old broken water feature stone that I cleaned up and added. They love to climb it like a climbing wall. A moss basket that the two smallest crabs love to sleep in and a hamster wheel that I got from my secret Santa.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

threefosters
    Participant

Unsuccessful photo, see entry below

• This reply was modified 9 months, 3 weeks ago by  threefosters.

threefosters
    Participant

Michigan, USA
    12x36x18
    39 gallon, I think
    Substrate is play sand and eco earth
    Two pools, one salt, one fresh water
    Three chills logs
    Coconut husk shell shop
    Coconut husk moss pit
    Home to two E’s and one PP
    Background printed on photo paper on outside of glass

Attachments:

Sara Dunn
    Participant

dresdenwolf
    Participant

Black Hawk SD
    55gal
    Play sand and eco earth, about 5-1
    2 deep pools, shell stairs in them, shell shop (kids old shopping basket!) 3 dishes, though only 2 show in the pictures (green sand, worm castings, and food dish) couple of nets, couple of vines, couple of coconut halves, a hollow “bone” (my E’s love it) and the new shell tower/condo I just recently built. And a driftwood root.

Attachments:

natalie.sherwood
    Participant

Texas, USA
    Correct Sub, lots of climbing and hiding spaces and a shell shop on the side up high.
    10 gallon (too small, but hoping to upgrade)
    Got our crabbies on vacation at the end of September 2017.

Attachments:

Sarah Rimmer
    Participant

Camera: phone S7
    Size: approx 55gal
    Crabs: 5 Aussie hermit crabs
    Substrate: Play sand and Coir 8:1

Water:2 deep pools, shell/rock bottom in a gradient, gutter gaurd . each doubled and sitting within a plastic tray that’s filled with smaller pebbles and larger around perimeter to cathc leak etc and disperse weight to avoid collapse.

Shell shop: tupperware dish at present as my crabs like digging under things.

Food: Dry dish inside fresh food dish. Supplements in small white shell dish with purple kina/sea urchin shell beside and a sea urchin spike withing shell shop.

food on offer – massive mix in dry foods of walnuts, rabbit poo, energy mix, green protein mix, freeze dryed turkey, coconut and probably other things i forget. my dry mix I get from ‘pinchies Place’. Fresh: pumpkin, cucumber, snap peas, celery. and a seafood skewer will be going in tonight.

Moss pit: DRY:Top right of cave area. inside is a little leaf litter and a dry sea sponge and cuttle bone with sea urchin spike. Access of driftwood, wall plants and a self made plant ladder ( plastic bird ladder with plastic plant pieces cable tied on – this is a favourite). WET: to right of bridge decor tucked in towards back in cave/climb area next to a heat source to increase humidity.

Hides/cave:Coconut tiki hut. terracotta pot. silk and plastic plants. large standing driftwood at back right with draping aquarium plants. they also like to hide under the bridge and behind skull)

Climb: Fake coral tree. maple tree vines. large hanging driftwood. diy ladders and fake wall hedge with suction cups to attach.

Leaf litter pit: hard to see but its a mixed litter in cave area below dry moss pit.

Plants: all convincing plastic fakes ( asked all the time) just from local emporium type store.

Decoration: mix of pebbles, shells, resin skull and drift wood.

All items sourced from local aquariums and emporiums. no painted items.

Digital weather reader hung in gutter gaurd pocket ( read extra climbing fun)

Attachments:

Stacy
    Keymaster

Sara Dunn your link does not work.
    You can try again next month. You should be able to attach your photo to your reply. If not you can email it in: crabstreetjournal@gmail.org

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘2018 January COTM’ is closed to new replies.