2018 June COTM

This topic contains 6 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Stacy 1 week ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Stacy
    Keymaster

For ease of voting please try to do the following:

Take and post one clear photo of the entire crabitat to be used on the poll.

Take and post any additional photos you would like to share to highlight features. A link back to the contest thread will be included on the poll so others can browse the additional images.

Full rules here:

Crabitat of the Month

Kate Rebholz Buttke
    Participant

Dimensions of Crabitat: length 35 1/2 inches, width 16 3/4 inches, height 18 1/2 inches

Volume of Crabitat: 50 gallon

Description of Substrate: All purpose sand (safe for sandboxes) and coconut fibers

Description of Tank Items:
    On the right: Aquarium deco – Large Tree with cave (which the crabbies LOVE), a “mushroom ledge” which is glued on with aquarium silicone.
    The center “bridge” is a piece of driftwood I found on the Oregon coast. Boiled it in salt water and dried it out.
    Across the tank (the long black rope-like thingy) is a reptile climbing vine. In the back are 2 coconut huts and cholla wood.
    Hung on the back wall is fishnet.
    Hanging on the upper left side is a little green plastic colander decorated with a bit of coconut fiber mat on over the edges for the crabbies to be able to climb out well. And faux leaves wrapped around.
    A plastic plant under the colander.
    Aquarium Tree stump deco.
    More drift wood and ocean rocks I’ve found over the years (washed in the dishwasher)
    A lizard climbing mesh on left wall.
    Lots of shells up front, just laying around on the substrate.
    Fresh water on front left and salt water on front right.
    And the new addition of the blue hamster wheel.
    For feeding I use clam shells and plastic dishes (which came with an original kit)

Comments: On the back and sides is insulation covered in “jungle” fabric.
    I also have sensors to keep the heat and humidity at the correct levels.
    Heat sources are heat pads on back right and right side.
    Humidity is kept up with a humidifier. All automated.

Lastly my husband has the tat sun controlled by our Google Home.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Katrina Love
    Participant

Dimensions of Crabitat:I don’t know exactly on both . I do know the length one is 36 inches and the other 62 inches .
    Volume of Crabitat: ( 65 arch gallons)(125 gallon)
    Description of Substrate: ( 65 gallon 3 bricks of ee and 5 bags of sakrete play sand ) (125 the ee I’m not sure I wanna say about 9 bricks of ee and 10 bags of Quikrete play sand .Yes I know a lot of ee when I first started I like just having ee and then redoing the 10 gallon every six months but I was wrong so when I set up the 125 gallon in November 2016 I tried to do it kinda correct but the 125 gallon is still up to this day even with the ants . This is why I’m entering both tanks now .the 65 gallon was set up in April 2018 and the 125 gallon was just set back up in June. I pull everything out the 125 gallon except the sub thanks to the ants but luckily one of my new es just came up from her molt . Hopefully my other three pps and two es will to .

Attachments:

Katrina Love
    Participant

I deleted a photo by mistake so I have to add it by other post sorry also a few more photos I couldn’t add because of not enough photo files to upload. If you look at the dates of each photo I took my time doing the tanks and a lot of work went in to doing the two tanks this year . My hubby help me put the sand and mixing the ee in the 65 gallon tank . I made him do that part as payback for the cause of maggots last year luckily the hermits survive that to. My mom and hubby are care takers with the hermits also but I’m the main owner of them . I have 18 hermits 15 pps and 3 e s I just got a pp and the e s this year. 8 pps I got in November of 2016 . 7 I got in 2015 and shells has been with me since October 2014 he was my second hermit I owned.

Attachments:

Cindy Whitehead
    Participant

Dimensions of Crabitat:
    48 1/2 inches long x 12 3/4 inches wide x 20 3/4 inches deep.
    With a custom extension that is 48 inches long x 12 inches wide x 8 inches tall.
    Volume of Crabitat:
    55 gallon tank, apx 20 gallon extension.
    Description of Substrate:
    Play sand, Coconut Qaur, Worm Castings, Shredded Sphagnum Moss, Pulverized Timothy Hay, and Crushed Egg Shells.
    Description of Tank Items:
    •Home made Coconut Hide, filled with mix moss• 3 pieces of Cholla• 2 Natural Grape Vines• Salt Water Pool• Fresh Water Pool• 2 Small Natural Spider Plants• Shell Shop• Artificial Rock Cave• Artificial Climbing tree• Plastic ExerciseWheel• Various Artificial Plants & Vines• Triangle Mesh Hammock w/ Additional Shells• 1 Custom Crocheted Hemp Ladder• 3 Live Moss Pits.
    Comments:
    I have only recently gotten into crabs after my grandson won one at a local carnival. While learning how to help him I fell in love with these little cuties! I am currently housing mine and his too, (due to the untimely death of my son’s air conditioner). Their home was too hot to be safe for them. I added the extension because I wanted to be able to give them more items to climb and additional places to explore. The tank was only completed 3 days before needing to add the crabs-due to the air conditioner issue.

Attachments:

Stacy
    Keymaster

Stacy
    Keymaster

Winner Cindy! Congrats!!!
    Please visit the prize store and pick out your prizes:
    http://www.crabstreetjournal.org/prizes

Code is FREE

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.