2018 May COTM

This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Stacy 1 month ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

Stacy
    Keymaster

For ease of voting please try to do the following:

Take and post one clear photo of the entire crabitat to be used on the poll.

Take and post any additional photos you would like to share to highlight features. A link back to the contest thread will be included on the poll so others can browse the additional images.

Full rules here:

Crabitat of the Month

Katrina Love
    Participant

Dimensions of Crabitat:I don’t know exactly. I do know the length is 36 inches.
    Volume of Crabitat: ( 65 arch gallons)
    Description of Substrate: ( 3 bricks of ee and 5 bags of sakrete play sand )
    Description of Tank Items ( most stuff came from my other tank. The pools and there shell shop bowl did not come from my other tank. There is 7 different types of safe wood in the tank . I made the back wall background out of willow wood and fake flowers with twin netting connecting the two willow reefs . There is a newly added grapewood log in the tank I was able to break in half for a piece in the 125 gallons tank to that I added leaves to make it look like a tree

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.

Kate Rebholz Buttke
    Participant

Dimensions of Crabitat: length 35 1/2 inches, width 16 3/4 inches, height 18 1/2 inches

Volume of Crabitat: 50 gallon

Description of Substrate: All purpose sand (safe for sandboxes) and coconut fibers

Description of Tank Items:
    On the right: Aquarium deco – Large Tree with cave (which the crabbies LOVE), a “mushroom ledge” which is glued on with aquarium silicone.
    The center “bridge” is a piece of driftwood I found on the Oregon coast. Boiled it in salt water and dried it out.
    Across the tank (the long black rope-like thingy) is a reptile climbing vine. In the back are 2 coconut huts and cholla wood.
    Hung on the back wall is fishnet.
    Hanging on the upper left side is a little green plastic colander decorated with a bit of coconut fiber mat on over the edges for the crabbies to be able to climb out well. And faux leaves wrapped around.
    A plastic plant under the colander.
    Aquarium Tree stump deco.
    More drift wood and ocean rocks I’ve found over the years (washed in the dishwasher)
    A lizard climbing mesh on left wall.
    Lots of shells up front, just laying around on the substrate.
    Fresh water on front left and salt water on front right.
    And the new addition of the blue hamster wheel.
    For feeding I use clam shells and plastic dishes (which came with an original kit)

Comments: On the back and sides is insulation covered in “jungle” fabric.
    I also have sensors to keep the heat and humidity at the correct levels.
    Heat sources are heat pads on back right and right side, plus lamps.
    Humidity is kept up with a humidifier. All automated.

Lastly my husband has the tat sun controlled by our Google Home.

Attachments:

Kym I Biviano
    Participant

6foot long, 2foot deep, 2foot high
    200gallons
    Playsand mixed with coco coir mulch brick
    Very deep marine grade alt water pool, smaller fresh water but still quite deep as my hermit crabs spend more time in the salt water. I upgrade the pool sizes after observing which pool and how often the crabs used them
    Plastic craft mesh and flat badket plastic mesh line thevsides of pools so even the micro crabs can easily find a way to climb in and out
    Small filters with airstones help keep the water clean and clear. Ammonia alert device is attatched to inside of pool tank
    I do a 50%water change weekly
    Hundreds of suitable shells are in shell shops along the back wall shelves, sphagnum moss pits are also in tubs on shelves
    A very shallow small tray is in the substrate in the fairy garden area, it has organic worm castings and greensand(food) and I often sprinkle a variety of seeds here to grow into sprouts. The shallow tray stops the plants roots from disturbing molting crabs. Seeds I use are chia, hemp, capsicum, mung bean and cress
    The shell shop shelves double as dark places to hide under and coconut shells and small terracotta pots are spaced around the tank as hides
    I crocheted a climbing net from food safe cotton twine, it is held up with suction cups and oak twigs. Other woods in the tank are cork, grapevine and goldvine

Attachments:

Meg Jenkins
    Participant

WIlliamsport, PA
    Dimensions of Crabitat: 48″ long x 21″ deep, 21″ high
    Volume of Crabitat: 75 gallons
    Description of Substrate: 5:1 ratio of play sand and Eco Earth. Because we have to move the tank very soon for painting the room, we have the substrate around 6-7″ but have more ready mixed to add once the move is complete.
    Description of Tank Items: We wanted our tat to look natural, without much plastic. That said, I am worried about glass, so we have two quart sized plastic pools, one of prime treated fresh water; one of Instant Ocean and Prime treated saltwater. Both have glass beads in the bottom (different colors so we don forget which is which), lilypads and flowers for crabs to climb onto while in the pool in case they want a quick exit, both also have ramps for in/out. There are 3 rock caves and a cocohut. 2 large coral pieces for climbing. There are also 2 shell shops, one for small crabs and one for larger crabs, made of shower corner caddies. They are accessible by climbing the plastic walls or by climbing the vines that are attached to the caddy. There is a rodent wheel for exercise, a jute hammock, and loads of plants to climb and hide in. The sides have coconut fiber or plastic climbing mesh along the walls. Choya wood for climbing/hiding. There is a hiding cave with a dish area on top–small crabs hide below in the cave, and the dish area in the top holds the green sand,worm castings, exoskeleten mix, flowers, herbs, other natural foods. In the front mid section we feed fresh foods in shells, and powdered or messy foods in clay segmented dish.
    We also have 3 humidity/temp gauges. There are glass lids on top and fluorescent lighting to make viewing pleasant. The tat is close to a window to get natural light, but not so close as to be heated by sun.

Comments: After finding several native hermit crabs on the beach (and releasing them) My 10 yo son begged for a hermit crab for about 2 years. I had them as a kid, my very first pet, and I loved them so much but they lived short lives due to lack of information and my parents not really caring to help. We got Sam one the night we left Florida, back at the start of Feb, just a few months ago.
    Since that time, we have gone from our first 2 crabs back in a kritter keeper with store food and tap water and fish gravel (no heat or humidity) to a 4 gallon, 10 gallon, 29…and now this! Thanks to this group for all the help, research and info. My son found the group and researched everything. He kept telling me we had it all wrong. I didn’t pay attention until one crab died…then I started listening, and he kept reading more and more! I think our crabs won the lotto with my kid in control of their well-being! Also, we were fortunate enough to find this amazing tank at a very affordable price. It was sold to us by a gentleman who was selling his deceased brother’s belongings. They gave us many of the plants, rock caves and structures, lids, lamps, extra bulbs, and the stand. So the tank is dedicated to the memory of Earl. 🙂 I have been sending the family pics of my kids with the new crabitat. They are glad it is being used again! We are really proud and excited about what we have done for these crabs and all we have learned in just four months!. My son has written all his school papers this year on hermit crab care…he is learning so much, and we are so glad to see him caring so well for these little amusing creatures!

Attachments:

Meg Jenkins
    Participant

Couldn’t figure out how to get my photos in the main section, so hopefully they can be viewed in this reply

Attachments:

Stacy
    Keymaster

Winner Meg Jenkins! Congrats!!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.