Ask Milo – Removing mold or mildew from wood

Anna asks:

How do i get white fluff mold from my old cage off of my half log hut with out burning it?
Dear Anna,
The white fluff mold is not at all safe for your hermit crabs!. If the half log hut is small enough, I recommend placing it a pot of boiling water. Boiling it for 15 minutes or so should be good. Then place it on a cookie sheet and turn your oven on a low setting like WARM or 200F. This will provide a low heat for thoroughly drying the half log hut. This temperature is safe and will not burn the wood. If you don’t feel safe doing that I would suggest placing it outside in the bright, hot sun for a couple days.
Hope that helps!
Your friend in a pinch,
Milo