AFTER reading the info in the Emergency Help Links if you still require assistance, please answer the questions below. Copy and paste the questions into a new topic titled ‘Emergency Troubleshooting’ and then answer each question.
We will do our best to help you in a timely manner but understand that no one is monitoring this forum 24/7. You can help yourself first by reading the extensive information we have provided.
By answering ALL of the questions you will make it easier for us to help you. It may even helpyou identify the issue on your own. If we have to question you at length for details it simply delays the process of determining your issue.
If you are unwilling to answer all of the questions, understand that your post will not be given priority in determining the order in which to answer new help requests.
***** Begin Copying Here*****
Briefly describe your problem:
1. Substrate used in crabitat? In iso?
A. What is the depth of the substrate?
B. Is the substrate moist or dry?
2. Humidity percentage level in crabitat? In iso?
A. What style of humidity gauge do you use? (Dial or
B. Where is the gauge located in the crabitat? (top, middle,
Substrate level…left side, middle, or right side of
C. Are there any water sources near where the gauge is
D. Did you test the humidity gauge for accuracy? (by
3. Temperature of substrate in crabitat? In iso?
4. Air temperature of crabitat? (what the inside wall thermometer
reads) In iso?
A. Where is the thermometer located within the crabitat?
5. All items and decorations within the crabitat? In iso?
A. Were items boiled that could be boiled, baked that could
be baked, or washed with hot water prior to being placed
within the crabitat?
6. What type of water is offered to the hermies? (bottle or dechlor
A. If you use a dechlorinator what brand do you use?
B. How often to you exchange the water for fresh water?
C. What do you use as water dishes? ( and how deep are they?)
7. Do you offer an ocean water source?
A. What brand name of ‘ocean’ water do you use?
B. How do you prepare the ocean water offered? (amount of
dechlor water to ocean mix)
C. Is it shaken after being mixed, and before offering?
D. Is it left to sit and dissolve for at least 12-24 hours?
E. If you have an ocean pool with a filter, how often do you
change the filter?
F. When the ocean water level becomes low in the pool, do you add more fresh or ocean water to raise the water level?
8. What are all the foods offered in main crabitat? (commercial and fresh)
A. If you offer fresh fruits, veggies, and meats within the crabitat how long are they left in the crabitat before you replace them with fresh foods?
B. If you offer commercial dry foods, how often are they replaced?
C. Is the substrate checked daily for fresh foods that may have been dragged out of the food dish and removed?
9. What are all the foods offered to a recovering molter after they eat their exo?
10. What type of crabitat do you have? (glass, acrylic critter keeper, plastic, other)
A. What gallon size crabitat do you have? (if not known what are the measurements?)
B. How many hermies do you have in your crabitat?
C. Is there a second level to the crabitat?
D. What type of lid do you have on the crabitat?
11. Type/form of heat source used on main crabitat? On iso? (lights, an UTH sold for reptiles, or other source…if other please
A. If you use a light on the crabitat, what size watt is it?
B. Is it extend on ½ or all of the tank top?
C. Do you provide a night and day cycle?
D. If you use a Reptile UTH for what size tank is it rated for? (if not known what is its length and width measurements?
12. How long you have had the hermie/hermies?
A. Have they molted since living with you?
B. If so, were there any complications? (limb loss, didn’t eat their exo, etc.?)
13. Were they bought from the same pet store/place?
14. What species of hermies do you have?
A. What style and type of shell are they wearing? (Painted or natural)
B. What style and type of extra shells do you offer?
15. Do you bath your hermies?
A. If so how often and do you add anything to the water?
B. What is the water temperature if you bath your hermies?
C. Where do they exercise/drip dry off afterward?
D. Is the area they drip dry at warm?
16. If you take your hermies out to exercise or play, do you mist their gill area first?
17.. Has there been any cleaners, paints, perfumes, air fresheners,(including plug in’s), candles, smoking, any form of ‘smells/odors’ where their crabitat is? (remember, even though one may use an air
freshener in one room, including deodorants, etc…the scent does travel)
A. Are all hand lotions, or other smells/odors washed off of your hands prior to handling the hermies? (including
18. How often do you sterilize/deep clean the crabitat & how do you sterilize it?
A. What do you use to clean/wash the inside of the crabitat?
B. How often do you spot clean the crabitat for hermie wastes?
C. Has there ever been any pests noted within the crabitat? (ants, mites, gnats, etc.?)
D. Has there ever been any mold or mildew noted in the crabitat?
E. Where are the hermies when the tank is deep cleaned?
19. Are there any odors/smells ‘within’ the crabitat?
A. If so what would you relate the odor to?
B. Is there an odor on the hermies?
C. If there is, what would you relate the smell to?
20. Do you use sea sponges in the water supply?
A. Are the sponges rinsed daily with dechlorinated water?
B. Are the sponges exchanged at ‘least’ every 2 days for fresh sterile ones?
21. Have you added anything new to the crabitat recently…new substrate, decorations, changed water dechlorinators or ocean water mix?
If there is something you feel is also relevant that has not asked here, please do include it. This will all be needed for us to try help troubleshoot if there is a potential problem.