2008 Hermit Crab Survey Results
Written by Michelle Stephens (Lolagranola) of Naturally Crabby
The following is the raw results from a hermit crab survey that I set up over the course of one month. I invited crabbers from lots of different forums to participate and we had, in the end, over 300 participants. While this is a great number, more than I had hoped for, keep in mind that it’s not a perfect sample. It’s a sample of crabbers who are willing to go online to read about, research, and talk about crabs. There is still a significant demographic of crabbers who don’t do that.
1. How many crabs do you have?
2. How many active tanks/crabitats do you have (not counting ISO)?
3. Do you have a tank specifically designated for ISO situations?
4. What is the size of your largest tank?
5. How many species do you have?
6. What type of substrate do you use?
7. What type of heat do you have? (check all that apply)
8. Do you have a thermometer?
9. Do you have a hygrometer? (measures humidity)
10. Do you offer salt water?
11. What do you use to make your salt water?
12. Do you use stress coat dechlorinator?
13. Is your substrate moist or dry?
14. What kind of fresh water do you use?
15. How many times a year do you deep clean your tank?
16. Do you bath your hermit crabs?
17. Have you ever adopted a crab rather than buying it at the store?
18. As a general rule, do you let your hermit crabs molt in the main tank or do you ISO them?
19. Have you ever purchased food/items from an online hermit crab specialty store?
20. What kinds of food do you feed your hermit crabs? Select all that apply.
21. How old are you?
22. Are you male or female?
23. How long have you had hermit crabs?
24. How long have you had the crab you have had the longest?
25. Would you consider yourself a hermit crab activist?
Survey written and executed by LolaGranola, feel free to post and reference on your site or blog. A link back to Naturally Crabby is appreciated but not required for this post.